Kim Seng Wind Symphony In Concert XVI NAFA Lee Foundation Theatre 18 December 2011 SUN @ 5pm $10 per ticket (FREE Seating) Conducted by Mr. Mohd Salleh Bin Md Nooh Concert Repertoires 1) “ISLAND SUN” FOLK TUNE OF OKINAWA Music by Nagano Takeyuki 作曲 中山竹通 2) ASUKA ~ 飛鳥 Music by Tetsunosuke Kushida 作曲 櫛田胅之扶 3) ROBIN HOOD - SOUNDTRACK HIGHLIGHTS Music by Michael Kamen Arranged by Jay Bocook 4) SERENADE ~ セレナーテ(小夜曲) Music by Satoshi Yagisawa 作曲 八木澤教司 5) IMAGES OF A CITY - AN OVERTURE Music by Franco Cesarini Op. 42
6) AMERICAN GRAPHITY Arranged by Naohiro Iwai 7) NIPPON MINYO (1) - JAPANESE FOLK SONG Arranged by Naohiro Iwai 8) LOCH LOMOND - FOR CONCERT BAND Music by Frank Ticheli 9)BLAST FROM THE PAST Good Lovin’ – Happy Together – Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye Land Of A Thousand Dances – Stand By Me – Louie, Louie Arranged by Michael Sweeney
I hope everyone is fine and doing well. The followings are some announcements and changes which are going to take effect immediately in the band from now:
1) KSWS has been experiencing very bad practice attendance from its own members since we have moved the practice to Friday evening due to our conductor's requirement. Since Mr. Charlie has confirmed to be studying overseas for 2 years,band practices will move back to every Saturday from 6pm to 9:30pm starting from this coming Saturday (09/07/2011 SAT). Mr. Salleh will be taking over the baton & the post of Head Librarian from now on.
2) Annual concert has been scheduled on at 5pm at NAFA Lee Foundation Theatre. Please kindly ensure and confirm your attendance for this concert as we need to look into the concert strength from now on ASAP. We are still lacking of Clarinetists, Trumpeters & Percussionists. I sincerely urge members whom are still in the music scene to help in this area to make the concert a possible one for the band. If you have friends who are interested to join us for the concert, please do bring them down.
3) I have seek help for Mr. Rahman to assist the band to revive the percussion section permanently. He has agreed to give the band a helping hand and so far, he has been keeping to his words seriously to strengthen the percussion section even though the band attendance is not ideal. On behalf of KSWS, I will like to thank him for his great effort & voluntary help to assist the band in one way or another. I hope we can have more people like Mr. Rahman himself whom is willing to volunteer his time to help the band purely for a passion in music making.
4) Ms. Yim Xiumei has stepped down from the band committee with effect from June 2011 due to her heavy commitments in her new job. Her position will not be replaced for now & Lawrence will be covering her post from now on.
5) Below is the KSWS members list. Please kindly go through it. If your name has omitted or added spelt wrongly, please kindly update & correct with Lawrence. Thanks
Anyway, see you guys on this coming Saturday (09/07/2011) from 6pm to 9:30pm Ciao & keep smiling!
----------------------------------------------------------------------- Piccolo/Flute Charlie Tan Tuan Hao David Tan Elisse Lee Li Sze Eng Shi Yee
Clarinet Goh Hui Liong Tan Yuen Yuan Tan Wei Lian
Alto Saxophone George Leong Shin Khuen
Tenor Saxophone Nor Ibrahim Bin Mohd Nor
F.Horn Alan Ong Pang Chi Mohd Azmi Bin Sukaimi Toh Jing Si
Trumpet Andrew Lee Mun Yew Karen Leong Kai Ling Mohd Salleh Bin Md Nooh
Trombone Amy Lee Meng Fong Yeo Wee Aik Jonna Garnell Sylvester Lau (Guest Player)
Euphonium Lok Jie Jun
Tuba Lawrence Chong Seng Mong Bernard Chia Wen Tsen
Percussion Abdul Rahman Bin Mustaffa (Guest Coach)
“2011: A Band Odyssey” Sunday, 27 February 2011 3pm Siglap South Community Centre Auditorium Admission is FREE, open to public.
Program: BACH ……Chaconne from Partita no.2 in D minor DOSS, Thomas ……Genesis SWEARINGEN, James ……Seagate Overture BARNES, James ……Yorkshire Ballad SHELDON, Robert ……Flight of the Piasa SHIMIZU, Daisuke ……Tanglewood Overture APPERMONT, Bert ……Noah’s Ark LEHAR, Franz ……Die Lustige Witwe (The Merry Widow)
Synopsis: AudioImage Wind Ensemble, under conductor Clarence Tan, pays tribute to the annual SYF (Singapore Youth Festival) Band Competition as we perform select pieces from the competition over the years. This promises to be a nostalgic trip down memory lane for old-timers, as well as an eye-opener for younger band members. We also feature guest conductor Choy Wei Peng.
Kim Seng Wind Symphony In Concert XV Raffles Hotel Jubilee Hall 19 December 2010 SUN @ 5pm $10 per tickets (FREE Seating) Conducted By Mr. Tan Tuan Hao
Concert Repertoires 1) FANFARE OF WAKAKUSA HILL Itaru Sakai 2) IBERIAN ESCAPADES Eobert Sheldon 3) CAJUN FOLK SONGS Frank Ticheli 4) POPS IN THE SPOTS Roland Kernen 5) FOLK SONG SUITE Ralph Vaughan Williams 6) MACHWEO Menno Bosgra
7) Quintesen Brass Quintet i) LITTLE DRUMMER BOY (PAT-A-PAN) Bud Udell ii) WE WISH YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS John Rutter iii) JUST A CLOSER WALK Don Gillis 8) LET IT SHINE James L. Hosay 9) CHRISTMAS CALYPSO Stephen Bulla 10) OVERTURE TO A WINTER FESTIVAL James Curnow
KSWS is recruiting for new musicians to join the family. If you are a music lover whom wish to continue your music passion in making band music, you are always welcome to join our practices on every Saturday evening. If you are a school graduate or someone whom have lost touch in your playing & wish to pick up your instrument again, you are also welcome too.
We are looking for independance, commited & self-motivated musicians to join the band. You must at least know the basic fundamental of music & have some band playing experience in the past.
If you think you fit the criteria, you can always contact Ms. Yim Xiumei or myself by email to enquire for more information of the band or to make arrangement to join in the band practices.
Please kindly indicate the following in your email: 1) Your name & contact nos. 2) What instrument you are playing 3) A short introduction of yourself
We will then reply to you accordingly. Thanks for your interest.
With Best Regards, Lawrence Chong President of KSWS
KSWS has appeared on the local newspaper of Kagoshima after the Arts & Culture Program.
The translation is done by Kiyomi-San as below.
EXCHANGE WITH THE BAND FROM SINGAPORE (KANOYA Girls High School)
On 24th NOV, KSWS from Singapore visited KANOYA Girls High School and deepend exchanges between the band and students through tea ceremony and flower arrangement. KSWS is an amateur wind orchestra from Singapore which consists of people with different ages and occupations.
They have been invited by Kagoshima prefecture to participate the exchange programs ("The Symphonic festival" at KANON Hall in Kajiki-cho etc.), and enjoyed sightseeing before going back to Singapore on 26th.
At KANOYA Girls High School, they showcased Japanese ENKA medleys and Singapore folk songs and joint performance with the school's choir. After their wonderful performance, they experienced tea ceremony and Japanese flower arrangement. They were guided by students in KIMONO from department of Life and Environmental Science to sit on the floor Japanese style and enjoyed MACCHA (Japanese green tea) with sweets. They seemed to like it.
Mr. Lawrence, president of the band, said " we are greatly impressed by the tea ceremony because we don't have this style of ceremony in Singapore. I believe we can build even better relationship together by continuation of our intercommunion."